Weekly Reflection #3

Weekly Reflection #3
Anna Hollenbaugh

This week I was helpng out at AEMS, the elementary/middle school across the street from Proctor. I was in the first grade class. My job was to hang out with the kids and help Mr. Wiley, the teacher, set up activities. The first two days I went in from 7:40 - 2:45. Lauren Ho came and helped out on the last three days of the week ( wednesday - friday). She advised that I come in at 11:30. It made sense to do this because in the morning they had more structured work and specials: art, music, gym etc. . This week I learned that every school has their own way of communication with teachers and with other students. AEMS’s way of communication was through he phrase; I feel __ when ___.  I also learned that you can’t expect a first grader to give detailed, good answers in an interview. This week I kind of knew what the classroom setting would be like, since I volunteered I the fall in the same class. Most of the kids did not recogonize me, but some did. The thing that did surprise me was how interested the kids were in what they were learning. When Lauren gave a presentation about Hong Kong, they were listening intently and asked a lot of questions. I definitely benefited from this week and the experiences I encountered. I think teaching first grade would be fun! It is not as crazy as kindergarten, but they are still cute and they can do some stuff on their own. Independent but need some assistance. I think that the thing they needed most help with was arts and crafts and following along with directions. Some really grasped the idea and could follow along, but others really struggled. Everyone was at different places. Doing this has helped me with my goals of learning more about what I want do to in the future. I now have a better understanding of how first graders process information and their capabilities.

Comments